Friday, June 7, 2013

Perfect summer days

I know I've probably said it before, but -
you get the most perfect summer days in Sweden

Possibly because they last so little, so every single one of them is dearly treasured (unlike in Italy, where I longed for the rain and breeze of the autumn; dreading the long, endless, summer months where you don't do anything but sweat and lay lifeless incapable even of sleep. Yeah, I don't like summer much.) but really, they are perfect.
First of all, the summer sky is the bluest thing you'll ever see. Seriously, I've never seen a sky so perfectly ... blue. The temperature is just perfect, the sun kisses your skin and the air caresses it, so you get sunburns without even noticing. And have I mentioned lilacs?
Lilacs are my favourite flower, I really, really love them. They're pretty as it get, they grow big and tall and they smell heavely. And the colours are beautiful. I used to have a lilac plant back in Italy, but it kept on dying despite my efforts. For some reason, I thought it was a warm(ish) climate plant; so you can imagine my surprise when I moved here and there were lilacs everywhere. (And I do mean it, they're literally everywhere, like they're endemic or something. Not that's a problem, it makes the spring even more amazing. I just love living in this place!)

So, the landscape is set: bluest than blue sky - check, flowers that smell like falling in love - check, sun shining - check, softest green grass - check; avaibility of free days and parks around the city every corner - also check.
I am also blessed with the best of friends, and I've been spending the last month in almost paradise- that is, every weekend, when I'm not working.
Take yesterday for example. It was amazing.
We met early afternoon, after a long enough night of sleep, head to the supermarket and buy the most random and lavish amount of food. You name it, we had it: french baguettes and brie cheese, blackberry cider, chocolate (milk, dark and white), donought, chips... anything, really.
Then we head to the park, sit on plastic bags (yeah, we forgot the blankets. As usual) and just proceed to lay in the sun, laughing, eating, drinking and occasionally playing cards.
We spent ...  I don't know, possibly 4 hours like this.
(Yeah, this is another awesome thing about living in Sweden: endless summer days. I mean, they are endless, because the sun barely sets. You have to go northern of the Polar Cirle to get the midnight sun, and then it's just a couple of weeks between June and July; but even as south as Stockholm, the sun does go below the horizon, but you still have the light that lingers after the sunset... or before the dawn; and then it begins all over again. I cannot swear, because for some reason I keep missing the early hours around 2am, but there is still light around 1am, and there's already at 3am. So.
Yesterday I got home after the picnic at ... 9.30pm maybe, and it felt like 5pm instead. I told you, it's unbelieveable).

Also, I am finally doing all the things I've always only dreamt of doing.
I know it's maybe cliche, but... late nights at the beach, and barbecues, and walking barefoot, and just improvising and not planning and have lazy afternoons. The kind of days you see in movies, and I thought - "They're not real, who actually does that...?" (of course, I was only jealous).
Then I moved here, and I saw people actually doing that (even more jealous).

And now, I do too.

Of course, that is the whole point, really.
It's not what you do, it's how you do it. It's being that kind of person.
It means being outgoing and carefree and happy and having friends to do that kind of stuff with.
And I am closer to that now.
I am finally beginning to be who I always wanted to be; beginning to be the kind of person I've always really been on the inside. And now it's finally coming out, and I am still liked for that. I am liked for that version of me.
I am myself and I am happy. And it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment